Ellen G. White Writings

<< Back Forward >>

«Back «Prev. Pub. «Ch «Pg   Pg» Ch» Next Pub.» Forward»

Ellen G. White: The Early Elmshaven Years: 1900-1905 (vol. 5), Page 70

Chapter 5—The General Conference of 1901

A feeling of exhilaration and excitement filled the air on Tuesday morning, April 2, as workers and church members began to assemble in the Battle Creek Tabernacle a little before nine o'clock. This would be the largest General Conference session ever held. What is more, Ellen White would be there, and it would be the first session she had attended in ten years. The 267 delegates represented a church of 75,000 members. Four fifths of these members resided in the United States.

Many of the workers came with feelings of apprehension. It was very clear that the church had outgrown its organization. While at the sessions of 1897 and 1899 there was a recognition that some changes should be made, no one knew just what to do. At this juncture it would be well to review the overall picture and reconstruct the stage, as it were, for what took place.

The Organizational Status of the Church

The basic structure of church organization with its local conferences bound together in a General Conference had remained unchanged from 1863 to 1901. In 1889 the thirty-three conferences and missions in the United States were divided into six districts. But these had no organizational or administrative status. The leaders in each district served merely in an advisory capacity. A union conference was formed in Australia in 1894 and steps were under way toward forming a general conference in Europe. But the basic constitutional structure stood unchanged from what it was since the church had been organized. There were two recognized organizational

«Back «Prev. Pub. «Ch «Pg   Pg» Ch» Next Pub.» Forward»