Ellen G. White Writings

<< Back Forward >>

«Back «Prev. Pub. «Ch «Pg   Pg» Ch» Next Pub.» Forward»

Ellen G. White: The Later Elmshaven Years: 1905-1915 (vol. 6), Page 176

Chapter 14—Finding a Site for Pacific Union College

Like the school of the prophets in the day of Elisha, where the place where they dwelt became “too strait” for them, the school at Healdsburg by 1908 found itself needing room to breathe and grow. Under the adverse circumstances the attendance was dropping and financial losses were heavy. The school building was now closely surrounded by the town, and the “boarding house” three blocks up the street was being choked by nearby residential housing. When built, the boarding house, on a five-acre tract of land, was in the country, and it had been planned that as funds were available, more land surrounding it would be purchased. But money was scarce, so part of the original acreage was sold. Houses soon sprang up. M. E. Cady, one-time president of Healdsburg College, said that Ellen White was once heard to comment, “While men slept, the enemy sowed houses.”—DF 153a, M. E. Cady, Founder's Day Address, 1947.

The college home, or boarding house, was a three-story building with kitchen and laundry in the basement, dining room, parlor, and president's quarters on the first, or main, floor. Young women occupied the second floor and young men the third. The president and his wife served as preceptor and preceptress.

Ellen White, who with W. C. White had led out in founding the college in 1882, was deeply interested in its welfare. About the time the college opened she bought a home a few blocks distant and made Healdsburg her headquarters. Since returning from Australia, she often visited the school, spoke to the students and faculty, and watched with interest the welfare of the institution. With the

«Back «Prev. Pub. «Ch «Pg   Pg» Ch» Next Pub.» Forward»